The first year of my MSc will be coming to a close in May! After a semester of my first graduate school classes and my first experiences as a teaching assistant I was just starting to get the hang of it and the semester ended. This semester has been filled with research planning and manuscript writing. Just coming from my undergraduate degree, the thought of not taking any classes for an entire semester sounded insane, but so far, I have been very productive. I have one field season down, one coming up this spring, and one manuscript started.
Writing my first manuscript has been interesting to say the least. I have learned so much about statistical analysis of data, and the dreaded R. I am having a difficult time with the introduction section but the results and methods were a breeze. I look forward to getting back out into the field, that is why I got into this field after all.
My upcoming field season will begin sometime in March as the vernal pools begin to thaw and the wood frogs return to them to lay their eggs. I will be doing a transplant study that will follow up on research that I did in the lab for the first chapter of my thesis. I used a 3×3 full factorial design to look at how pH and UV-B affected developmental rates, mass, body condition, survival, and baseline and stressed CORT levels in wood frog tadpoles. The second chapter will take place within local vernal pools. Stay tuned for the results from the upcoming season!